Monday, April 27, 2015

Sound Design - Surround Sound 5.1 - Digital Audio IV



                In my digital audio 4 class, I was assigned to sound design an animation. We had the freedom of choosing our own piece as long as we had the permission from the producer. Once I got permission from the producer of the animation called Isolated, I was able to start my foley cue sheet.
                A foley cue sheet is a list of all the sounds that I need to create from scratch. Along with the sounds I need, I also have to list the correct time frame of each individual sound so they may be placed correctly. Now foley is any sound created from scratch that you record. You probably wondered how the door slam on a movie sounds real clean. That came all from foley.
                Once I gathered all my sound effects and recorded all my foley effects that I needed, I then jumped into writing the dialogue script into an audio and video format. I then hired several voice talent that fit each specific character. After all the recording was finished I started my next process of production, which was to mix the audio.
                During my mixing process, I leveled out every each frequency on each individual track so that everything was balanced correctly. I then filtered specific tracks that needed boosts or cuts and also added reverb and delay effects to certain vocals. Once all my mixing was completed, I combined the tracks together to make surround sound 5.1 audio stems.
                I then took the stems and imported them into a surround sound hd pro tools session. This was where I was able to automate each sound to fit the description of what you’re watching. If the animation shows you that a car is coming from the right side, you will hear a car coming from the right. If there are people running from the back, you will hear running footsteps in the back speakers.
                In due time, the project took 11 weeks to complete. I was able to master the animation into surround sound and actually listen to it from 6 different speakers. This was a great learning experience overall. I am now able to mix and master any
film into 5.1 surround sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment