Monday, June 1, 2015

White Zombie: Midi & Synth Sound Design



For my midi and synthesis class, I was assigned to sound design a short film with synth module processing. Before I was able to do such, I had to learn a little brief history of synthesis and also how to use the actual synthesizer machine to make frequencies splurge all over the area.
                The project I chose was a royalty free based project which allows me permission to use their production and make changes to it without getting in trouble. The film I chose was called White Zombie, a 1932 horror film. I stripped out all of the audio and attacked the project step by step.
                First I needed my pre-production list set up and organized properly. So I made a foley and sound effects cue sheet to determine what sound needs to be placed at what particular frame. Once I finished my cue sheet, I was able to proceed forward to my next step of the production which was recording and capturing the sounds needed to design this project.
                Since this was a horror film, I started synthesizing heavy frequencies along with other modulated sounds to create a sound that is similar to what you may appear to hear as if you were watching in real life. I also made some outrages sounds that may sound like it came from Star Wars far into the future. But once all my recording was finished, I was finally able to move on to mixing the sound levels to an appropriate threshold for the audience to be comfortable with.
                This sound design project was a bit difficult because I was still learning how to synthesis frequencies and learn how to design sound for film. Yet, this experience helped me learn what I needed improvement on.

No comments:

Post a Comment